Visual thinking – the art of expressing your thoughts in images, pictures and other non-textual ways – has the potential to help you uncover the ideas and insights you need to be successful during these uncertain times.
When it comes to your career, a picture really IS worth far more than a thousand words.
Visual thinking – which encompasses techniques like mind mapping, diagramming and sketch noting – is growing in popularity, because it enables executives to analyze and understand complex business issues faster. What does it have to do with your career? Simply this:
Here are 5 ways in which visual thinking can help you to up your impact at work:
- It can help you significantly increase your productivity. In surveys I’ve conducted with the readers of my Mind Mapping Software Blog, respondents have said that this type of visual thinking software makes them an average of 20% more productive. That’s like gaining an extra day per week!
- It can help you to deconstruct complex business problems to reveal the root causes of problems – and identify potential solutions more easily. In another survey of my blog’s readers, the majority of respondents said mind mapping software enables them to tackle complex challenges that they wouldn’t otherwise know how to approach.
- It can help you to see connections and relationships that wouldn’t be visible in linear documents, spreadsheets and presentation decks. That can lead to valuable ideas.
- It can help you to synthesize information more effectively and make better informed business decisions.
- It can help you to communicate and sell your ideas with greater visual impact and persuasiveness.
In short, visual thinking is a job skill that can pay off big for you and your career. Get the picture?